Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Taboo Of The Hunter In The Suburbs

I live along Colorado's highly-populated Front Range.  There are over 20 Natural Grocers stores, 10 Whole Foods Markets, and 6 Sprouts Farmers Markets within an hour of our home.  Fitness Centers that are literally the size of small shopping mall are now springing up in the area.  If I see another 24 Hour Fitness, I think I'll throw up. 

So am I opposed to a more natural or organic way of life?  Am I opposed to fitness?  No, siree Bob!  My family eats natural, organic, hormone-free, and delicious wild game meat almost every day.  I lift free weights in my garage and do cardio several times a week. 

I've come to notice that I stand out like a sore thumb living here in the suburbs.  Absolutely every friend I have in the area buys meat at the local natural grocer and doesn't have a clue where meat comes from.  When they see the Rocky Mountain Meat Hunter logo on our vehicle, they are perplexed.  When I tell them I lift weights in my garage, they look at me like I am a dork.  Then they continue on their way to the fancy fitness center complete with swimming pool, climbing wall, and everything else you could ever want. 

I try explaining the health benefits of eating wild game.  Some tell me, "all that hunting and getting your own meat just seems like a lot of work."  Yes, it is a lot of work!  You better believe it, sister.  Please don't start hunting.  Please continue to feed your family the cancer-causing meat our stores sell.  Please continue to waste money on the local fitness center and paying to walk/run in 5Ks to make yourself feel better.  I'll offer for you to come lift weights with me in my garage.  Sometimes I wear camo overalls when I lift and snack on protein rich elk summer sausage afterward.  You'd probably think that's weird though, huh?  Yeah, I guess I'm a dork.

No comments:

Post a Comment